Building and Sustaining Peace from the Ground Up: A Global Study of Civil Society and Local Women’s Perception of Sustaining Peace
Sustaining Peace Research Findings:
Between April 2018 and March 2019, the Global Network of Women Peacebuilders (GNWP) with support from UN Women coordinated a global research to map and analyze local women’s perspectives on what Sustaining Peace means and how it should be operationalized. The research reached over 1,600 women and men in 60 countries.
Peace is more than an absence of war
To women peacebuilders we interviewed, peace means many things:
Women build peace in more than one way!
Whether they are part of official peace negotiations or not, women contribute to preventing conflict and sustaining peace in a number of ways:
Read the Research:
A publication of the Global Network of Women Peacebuilders, funded by UN Women.
Lead Author and Overall Project Coordinator: Agnieszka Fal Dutra Santos
Survey Data Analysts and Co-Authors: Dinah Lakehal, Mallika Iyer, Prativa Khanal
Project Advisor and Substantive Editor: Mavic Cabrera–Balleza
- Afghanistan: Storai Tapesh, Roshan Mashal, Wahid Safi, Robina Hamdard and Qudsia Raheen
- Bangladesh: Nazneen Akhstar, Gulfam Tasnim and Bareesh Hasan Chowdhury
- Burundi: Joselyne Bucumi, Seconde Nyanzobe, Niyongabo Augustin, Reginas Ndayiragije and Christian Ngendahimana
- Canada: Kristine St Pierre and Sarah Tuckey
- Colombia: Francy Jaramillo and Beatriz H. Quintero G.
- Liberia: Charles G. Tiah
- Libya: Dr. Rida Al Tubuly, Aisha Fathi Alubuly and Iman Awaidat Abdullah
- Mali: Boubou Diallo and Abdoul Kassim Fomba
- Mexico: Kelly Yzique-Zea (remote interviews)
- Philippines: Jasmin Nario-Galace and Sophia Dianne Garcia
- Sierra Leone: Dr. Nana Pratt, Rosaline Macarthy and Mabel Kartusche
- South Sudan: Rita M. Lopidia
- Sweden: Lovisa Dahlström, Maja Skogh, Zahra Khalaf and Annika Schabbauer (team leader)
- Syria: CCSD management and field team
- Ukraine: Ella Lamakh, Anna Ambartsumova and Maria Dmytriyeva
Peer Reviewer and Copy-Editor: Eleonore Veillet-Chowdhury
Publication Coordinator: Katrina Leclerc
Layout and Design: Jim Marpa