Minimum 6-month advocacy, communications, and/or research internships available. Interns will work from our New York City office.
The application period is open.
Apply here or submit your cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The internship is 70% projects, 30% organizational and administrative responsibilities.
The intern will be required to:
- Track policy deliberations on the United Nations Security Council Resolutions (UNSCRs) on Women, Peace and Security; post-2015 development agenda; CEDAW; and other international laws and policies relevant to women and peacebuilding;
- Conduct project based research;
- Assist in preparatory phases of country-level programs;Assist in preparations for the anniversary of UNSCR 1325 in October;
- Assist in preparations for the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) in February-March (for Spring internships);
- Communicate with network members and assist these with research; preparing funding applications etc.;
- Track developments on global policies related to women, peace and security;
- Prepare materials for and update specific sections of the website;
- Actively engage on social media platforms where GNWP is active (Twitter; Facebook; Instagram);
- Basic office administration; and
- Work in a supportive, inclusive atmosphere. All interns work as part of a multi-disciplinary team but are given substantial autonomy in the area that they have been assigned.
- Background/interest in public policy and advocacy, with a particular interest in moving global issues to national and community level; and amplifying the voices of grassroots women at the global level;
- Knowledge of international policies (and discussions) that impact women, specifically UNSCRs 1325, 1820, 1888, 1889, 1960, 2106, 2122; the post-2015 development agenda; CEDAW;
- Specialization in Latin America or Africa highly preferred;
- Excellent information and communication skills, with attention to evolving strategies that bring issues on women, peace and security to the public forum;
- Stellar writing and research abilities;
- A self-starter with the ability to keep deadlines and commitments;
- French and/or Spanish language skills highly preferred;
- A creative outlook, enthusiasm and a fresh perspective.
GNWP will cover monthly Metrocards for interns working from the New York City office.